Early in 1883, a group of believers gathered in Milford, Indiana to worship God according to Holy Word. Elder John Nicholson assisted them with organizing as a church in January of 1885.
While the early services of the church were held in the facilities of the Christian Church, it was during a business meeting in February of 1886 that the decision was made to build a “brick meeting house” if the money could be raised. Work on this building was started on April 17, 1886 and the church was dedicated on October 24 of that same year.
The church has been known by several names over the years, from Progressive Brethren Church, to Grace Brethren Church to its current designation of First Brethren Church of Milford. Recent pastors have included Paul Tinkel (1979-1995), and Billy Hesketh (1995-2012).
In December of 2012, Lee Compson accepted the call to be the pastor and officially began January 1, 2013.